Hello!

I've decided that I really like reading blogs. I love to read about the lives of friends and people. People have always been interesting to me. So...I've decided to start my own blog. I need to be better at journaling my life so this is a great way to do it.

Life is crazy in the Barnes household with 5 busy kids, a lawyer husband and a Mom (me!) who has to try to keep up with it all. I wish my house was cleaner, that my kids would listen better, that they were more kind to one another, etc. Isn't that the wish of all mothers? We do our best and hope it is enough to make great people of our children. I wish I was more patient, more spontaneous and fun, more spiritual, more loving...there's always something that can be improved. I know that we spend our time and money on what we feel is important. Hummmmm. Maybe I should evaluate especially how I spend my time......Just a random thought.

I am serving as the Secretary/Personal Progress leader in Young Women's. I LOVE my calling. It has been such a blessing to me to hang with the girls. They are such great examples. They are firm and steadfast. They "get" the gospel. They have great testimonies and it shows in all they do. I sure love them. Today we talked about Dating in our lesson. The girls were so excited because it was the closest to the "chastity" lesson they would get this year. Believe it or not, that is their favorite lesson of the year!!! They even requested that next year they need to have "that" lesson before they graduate from High School and they move on with their life. Too Funny! I'm sure you will hear more and more about the "girls" as the months (and hopefully years!!! ....I know, wishful thinking....) progress.

Eric is the High Priest Group Leader. He was called in June of this year. It is amazing to see him become more organized and really loving the service part of the calling. He's already done some amazing things as he's visited and talked to many ward members, active or not, and invited them to go Home Teaching, come to church or whatever. I think this calling is just the thing he needed in this time of his life. The Lord surely knows what he's doing.

Eric is still working hard at keeping the business afloat. He's struggled for the last little while with making ends meet. There have been some rocky roads the last few months. He is really learning to make his time work for him and managing all the stuff that can suck it out of him. I'm proud of his efforts. I can tell he is becoming more disciplined. It's cool!

Eric is also an avid bike rider. I can't believe the miles and miles he puts on those two wheels. He goes riding probably 3-4 times a week for about 30+ miles each. He has finally found something he really enjoys. On Saturday afternoon he went out to the new Legacy Highway and rode the stretch down and back (14 miles each way) in addition to the miles it took to get to the trail head. He fudged a little because it was before the highway was officially opened and he wasn't supposed to be there. He got pulled over by a highway patrolman, when he was almost done, who asked him if he was exiting. (A polite way to say...get off this road, Dude!!!) I guess the guy was really nice though.

Anyways....a huge fringe benefit of this hobby of his is that he's lost a bunch of weight. He had a goal to lose 35 pounds before his birthday in May. He made that goal and now would really like to be training for a triathlon but he hurt his foot and can't run just yet. As his wife, I'm just loving that football butt of his!!!! I'm sure he will eventually do that triathlon.

I, on the other hand, need to lose weight but have not been a very good girl the last few months. I'm working on training for the 3-Day Walk for Breast Cancer in November but, but, but..... I need to get my act in gear!!!!

Well, I guess this is enough rambling for my first post. I'll have to tell about the kids in the next few days.

3 Comments:

Jon Lewis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jon Lewis said...

Eric is awesome. I wish I could be as dedicated as him at losing weight and getting in shape. Zac told me he was grounded from friends last night. Something about riding off on his bike when he was supposed to be doing dishes. I asked why he was talking to me then and he said that I am not a friend, I'm a teacher. :)

Carolyn said...

Yeah Jon, I think Eric has done a great job at getting in shape. I wish I could keep at it.....

That's a funny story about Zach. Yes, he was grounded. It is amazing what that kid will tell you. I'm sure you have a great influence on him. Thanks!